|Evernia Prunastri (Oak Moss)|
|Common Green Shield|
|New Oak Moss Growth?|
|Golden Shield Lichen (Xanthoria parietina)|
|Hammered Shield Lichen|
- Lichen covers 8% of the landmass on planet earth
- They inhabit nearly every environment, from polar regions to shallow oceanic areas
- They have an essential relationship with trees by providing nitrogen
- A concentrated area in Russia was managed for timber and lichens and a discovery was made that once a large percentage of lichen were removed, the health of the trees declined rapidly.
- Lichen was introduced to outer space for 14 days and taken back to earth where the organisms continued to live and flourish.
- Some of the oldest lichens are 4500 years old and are still living since the retreat of the last ice age.
- Lichens inspired xmas tinsel!
- Reindeer lichen is 60-70% of their food source!
- They play a vital role in rock weathering by breaking them down to produce integral minerals for all life on earth!
- The longest lichen strands recorded are 10 feet.
- One tree in Papua New Guinea had 173 lichen species on it.